This test includes questions relating to PDA and Autism and can be used to help people better determine whether the profile of PDA and Autism relate to them. This test was developed for adults but the questions can also be used for children. There are a number of questions, separated into two groups, the first lot are for PDA traits only and the second lot are for traits of Autism found in PDAers. These questions should show how PDA the person may be and how Autistic the person may be.
Please note this test hasn’t been devised by a professional and so will not be recognised in as a diagnostic tool. However this test has been created by a PDAer with the help of other PDA adults and as such, may be helpful in self-diagnosing.
There are 50 questions, please answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to the questions.
- Do you find it difficult to do the simple things that other people seem to find easy?
- Do you dislike praise?
- Do you find it harder to do tasks that you have to do as opposed to optional tasks?
- Do you find it more difficult to complete tasks when people are watching?
- Do you feel a need to take charge but dislike being placed in charge?
- Do you dislike being rushed?
- Do you feel unsure of how you will react in a situation, despite past experience?
- Do you feel like others are always wrong, even though you know logically that isn’t true?
- Do you dislike imposed routine?
- Do you/have you ever struggled in work/school due to the amount of work required of you?
- Do you tend to avoid routine tasks on a regular basis, such as washing, eating, dressing, sleeping and going out?
- Do you find it difficult to start things you enjoy, such as hobbies or interests?
- Do you struggle to tell when you are feeling anxious, did/do you believe you rarely feel anxious?
- Do you/have you ever experienced anxiety, more than the average person?
- Do you feel anxious when pressured to do something, even if it is easy?
- Do you spend more time delaying/avoiding a task than it would take to actually do it?
- Are there days where you can do lots of tasks and days where you struggle with simple things such as dressing and eating?
- Do you find it difficult to motivate yourself to do tasks?
- Do you/have you ever experienced panic attacks, more than the average person?
- Do you feel that everyone is equal, regardless of age/race/gender/social status?
- Do you/have you ever had obsessions around certain people? (For example: wanting to know everything about them, be around them all the time, feel jealous when they spend time with other people)
- Do you/have you ever made up new words, sometimes for things or people, or deliberately mispronounced words?
- Do you/have you ever experienced hyper/silly behaviour?
- Do you feel a need to get things done straight away, are you impulsive?
- Do you prefer to have options/choices in most situations?
- Does a lack of choice make you feel out of control/panicky?
- Do you like to do the same thing over and over until it becomes boring, then move onto something new?
- Do you feel anxious/panicky if someone doesn’t follow your instructions correctly or when they deviate from the plan?
- Do you like making changes in certain environments, such as rearranging the furniture in your home?
- Do you feel unable to cope with waiting for things?
- Do you/did you as a child dislike accommodations which make you stand out as different?
- Do you dislike being criticised but are critical of others?
- Do you feel everyone should follow the rules all the time but find it difficult to follow the rules yourself?
- Do you question rules/regulations/laws?
- Have you ever been described as being manipulative?
- Do you cancel plans at the last minute?
- Do you/did you as a child dislike losing/coming last?
- Have you ever been described as controlling?
- Do you daydream rich, imaginative worlds?
- Do you/have you ever used role play/pretend play, sometimes in order to cope with life/tasks/social situations?
- Do you struggle to start tasks because you expect them to be perfect the first time round, then become disappointed when they aren’t?
- Do you find yourself telling lies to delay/avoid things?
- Do you feel constrained by social expectations, such as having to say ‘please’ or ‘thank you’, having to smile?
- Do you struggle to admit when you’ve done something wrong?
- Do you feel unable to control your reaction to things, emotionally and/or physically?
- Do you change your mind often?
- Do you prefer to spend your time at home alone than outside with other people?
- Do you struggle with knowing how much time to leave for tasks, do you seem to run out of time quicker than others?
- Do you tend not to tell other people when starting a new project because others knowing makes it harder for you to complete it?
- Do you feel a need to control your environment, often to ensure things go as you prefer them to?
If you score one point for every time you have answered ‘yes’ to the above questions, the result will show how PDA you are likely to be.
A score of 0-10 indicates very unlikely to be PDA
A score of 11-20 indicates unlikely to be PDA
A score of 21-30 indicates possible PDA
A score of 31-40 indicates likely to be PDA
A score of 41-50 indicates very likely to be PDA
There are 40 questions, please answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to the questions. Please note, these questions are for PDA version of Autism, they may not indicate whether a non-PDA person has Autism.
- Do you find socialising difficult?
- Do you find socialising tiring and need time afterwards to recover?
- Do you feel like a different person when in a public setting, like you’re wearing a mask?
- Do you tend to complete tasks in a set way?
- Do you dislike others helping with tasks unless you’ve specifically asked them to?
- Do you make odd noises or speak in an unusual tone of voice?
- Do you struggle with group activities?
- Do you struggle when following conversations, especially when multiple people are contributing?
- Do you find it difficult to make and/or keep friends?
- Have you ever been described as weird/odd/kooky/strange/quirky?
- Does making eye-contact feel uncomfortable?
- Do you find it difficult to get along with people of your own age group, do you get on better with older or younger people?
- Do you/have you ever pretended/believed you are an animal, other than human?
- Have people commented that you lack empathy/appear unsympathetic?
- Do you struggle to know what to do in certain social and/or emotional situations?
- Do you react differently to pain than others might?
- Do you struggle to cope with last minute changes?
- Do you struggle figuring out what others are thinking?
- Do you stim? (For more information on stimming please click here)
- Do you tend to see things as black and white, all or nothing?
- Do you have difficulty recognising, feeling and/or regulating your emotions?
- Do your emotions seem either really good or really bad, with no in-between?
- Are you an empath, do you often feel other people’s emotions as if they are your own?
- Do you have sensory issues? (For more information on sensory issues please click here)
- Do you seem to make many social mistakes but are unsure how or why you have made them?
- Do you go over past social interactions in your head, trying to figure out what happened?
- Do you repeat words/phrases/sentences that you’ve heard, even if the situation doesn’t require it?
- Do other people appear confusing to you?
- Do you tend not to follow trends/fashion that society deems popular?
- Do you struggle to know when to speak during a conversation?
- Have people ever said you talk too much or not enough?
- Do you think about what you are going to say next, so much so that you sometimes miss parts of a conversation?
- Do people often misconstrue your facial expressions?
- Do you feel like an outsider, like you’ve yet to find where you fit in?
- Do you tend to focus on people’s hair, especially of those you like?
- Do you find it difficult/uncomfortable to lie?
- Do you/have you struggled to get on with people in your family, often because of misunderstandings?
- Do you often confuse your left and your right?
- Do you prefer animals to people?
- Do you struggle with following multi-step instructions, especially when given verbally?
If you score one point for every time you have answered ‘yes’ to the above questions, the result will show how Autistic you are likely to be.
A score of 0-8 indicates very unlikely to be Autism
A score of 9-16 indicates unlikely to be Autism
A score of 17-24 indicates possible Autism
A score of 25-32 indicates likely to be Autism
A score of 33-40 indicates very likely to be Autism
Featured image curtsey of Sally Cat – Sally Cat PDA Page