Hi again. It’s been a loooong while since I wrote here. I’ve been very busy and have done some considerable research. Recently I came across a little known rare form of ASD called PDA (pathological demand avoidance), this I believe describes me quite well and explains why I thought Asperger’s never fully fit.
PDA is anxiety driven and consists of behaviours which are used mostly to avoid demands. Demands cause anxiety which cause avoidance in order to alleviate the anxiety. The characteristics of PDA are:
- resists and avoids the ordinary demands of life
- appearing sociable, but lacking depth in understanding
- excessive mood swings and impulsivity
- comfortable in role play and pretend, sometimes to an extreme extent
- language delay, often with a good degree of catch-up
- obsessive behaviour, often focussed on people
In the next few posts I am going to be looking at each of these characteristics and how they apply to me. I am hoping this will give people a better understanding of PDA and how PDA affects me.